Sunday, May 20, 2012

July 24th 2010


After looking at the map last night we realized we have a whole lot of ground to cover to get in to Kentucky by tomorrow night.  We were suppose to stay in Iowa and I am going to miss out on that all together, but I am still going to see it ... Winterset, and the Bridges of Madison County. It's 9:00AM and we are ready to go.

I love this land, we had breakfast at a Denny's in Sioux Falls, SD, and were talking with the people next to us, who were also traveling and had just come from the falls, they wrote on a napkin how to get there and we went.  I can't tell you how breath taking they were, pictures never do them justice.  We could walk all over this huge rock formation that they were falling over, and look down in crevasses and see water.   It was great, but back to the car.... we have to make the miles.
Elk Horn, Iowa Windmill

We went east until Sioux Falls, then traveled South on Hwy 29 to Omaha, Nebraska, crossed over the Mississippi and went into Iowa, we weren't planning on our next stop but we read that there was the largest windmill in the United States in a small Scandinavian town just a little north, so we went for it.


Holliwell Bridge, Winterset, Iowa
So I've decided I am going to drive through the night, we are in Elk Horn Iowa, and have a few hours until dark to find the covered bridges.  I'm not going to give up on that, I want to see Madison County, so the only solution is to see what we came here for and drive on.  I just cancelled my reservation for tonight in Des Moine.  I'll take a little nap here and there if needed.





No comments:

Post a Comment